The courses featured here are not free, although they may offer a free trial (all links open in a new window).
- Practice Portuguese - A mixture of free and paid for tools, podcasts, videos, and an app, specifically for European Portuguese.
- Semantica - An intensive course using video clips to teach pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary, specialising in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese - A very comprehensive set of courses available as MP3 downloads or CDs. The Pimsleur method is based on principles derived from extensive research into memory and linguistics, and claims to make language learning easy and memorable.
- Pimsleur European Portuguese - As above, but the European course is quite new so not as many levels are available just yet.
- PortuguesePod101.com - Learn Portuguese using podcasts. Some content is available free of charge, but you can upgrade to a paid package for further lessons.
- Language Course Centre - Online, interactive course for Brazilian Portuguese.
- Babbel - A very slick interactive online training course with voice recognition to help you perfect your pronunciation, although, as with most courses, it has a Brazilian bias. A free trial is available.
Disclosure: I earn a small commission if anyone signs up with a provider mentioned on this page using the links provided. Without this dribble of income, I would not be able to keep the site running!